Mark Beattie Portfolio WSU- North Puget Sound at Everett

Overview

This space holds my Teaching Philosophy.

Personal Teaching Philosophy

My purpose is to serve lifelong learners by providing accessible, appropriate, and effective education while celebrating individual diversity across space and time. I returned to academics as an adult and I recognize that the journey of education is personal and unique to every student. It is my desire to connect and meet each of you where you are in your journey. If I do not have a complete understanding of what your needs as a learner are, please reach out so that I might serve your needs better.

Education must first be accessible. This takes many forms. If you are in a developing country, you may be challenged by lack of electricity or connectivity. The level of technology you have access to may be limited. Assistive technologies may enhance your access to materials. Please keep me aware if you encounter challenges of access. We will arrive at solutions together.

Education must be appropriate. Washington State University is part of a 125-year old tradition of land grant education and this is apparent in the coursework and care given to each student. Respect is an important part of building an appropriate environment for learning. In our discussions, we will respect the academic viewpoints of all participants, challenging each other to critically examine alternate views while respecting the views of all. In this environment we will become deeper thinkers and gain from the collaboration found in working with a diverse group of people.

Education must be effective. The unique content of each course is delivered within a framework that serves to transform the learner. This delivery should be clear and concise so that you are focused on the content and experiences presented in each exercise. This responsibility falls on me, and I will clarify any aspect for you as needed. Feedback will be prompt and grades maintained throughout or time together in the course.

Each course brings together classmates with different backgrounds and experiences. Current life circumstances are unique to every classmate. We are distributed across the globe and live in different time zones. We will celebrate this diversity while learning with each other in support of individual needs. Taken together these areas of focus will provide an environment where learning will be an enjoyable and fulfilling experience.